Football Season

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

Football Season

Poll ended at Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:16 pm

is a great activity with no downside
25%
causes to many traffic problems
No votes
makes it hard to get waited on in resteraunts
No votes
brings out emotional stupidity in people
13%
makes it hard to schedule fun activities around home games
No votes
causes tooth decay and rickets
6%
All of the above except #1
56%

Total votes: 16
Ontime

Football Season

Postby Ontime » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:16 pm

Which statement best describes your feelings about football season.
bgr8ful

Postby bgr8ful » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:16 pm

you just hate it because you were a lineman. dumbass lineman.
docintheyak

Postby docintheyak » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:29 pm

Easily brings out the "emotional stupidity" in the folks who follow it. For the rest of the world, we have fewer crowds to bother us while we live life, paddle, and travel. Kind of nice that it keeps all of you in concentrated groups so you stay out of our way during the weekends. Fall is great!
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Pat, you would still have time to get in your ONE run and then go to the game! :lol:
docintheyak

Postby docintheyak » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Ouch :o Oooh, that one knocked the wind right out of me.
BoaterSyndicate

Postby BoaterSyndicate » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:02 pm

The people paying for and supporting the USC football team are funding the perpetuation of ignorance amongst the players and many of the fellow fans!!!

Go COCKS!!!!

It's laying your hands on another man's woman in a familiar way...
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:54 pm

bgr8ful wrote:you just hate it because you were a lineman. dumbass lineman.

Ya know, its funny. I played Offense and Defense. Defense is like a hundred times more fun than offense, but when you go both ways like I did, yuk yuk yuk, [enter derogatory remarks here] HA but seriously folks, when you are on the field for the whole game, you cant wait to be on offense. I used to make tackles just go get it over with and catch my breath. But on offense my job was usually done in 6 seconds each play. I mean once "Sweetwater" hit the hole or Doug hit Scotty or Brian for a 1st down, all us linemen could relax and head to the huddle and talk about each other's moms and girlfriends. So I guess the moral of the story is this; It was fun to play, but I am not one to sit there and watch others having all the fun. The Magnolia Blue Eagles were 11-3 in 1986. We lost in the first round. Sweetwater had a concussion for the whole second half and didn't really know what he was doing. We just kept telling him what to do each play and never said a word. The next Monday in school we all laughed and laughed about it. Except Jeff (Sweetwater) Frye. No, Jeff didn't really think it was that funny for some reason. Ah Memories. Not for Jeff though, he doesn't remember much.
bgr8ful

Postby bgr8ful » Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:48 pm

before dinner, I bet you used to leave the game early.....and take your ball with you.
jonybeck

Postby jonybeck » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:44 pm

docintheyak...

AMEN!!!
bgr8ful

Postby bgr8ful » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:04 am

docintheyak wrote:Easily brings out the "emotional stupidity" in the folks who follow it. ...

This coming from someone who played soccer, Why? probably because he was too small to play, because he was picked last in P.E., because fellow kids would laugh at the way he throws, because he just couldn't grasp the coach's playbook, sooooo he thought he would play soccer instead. I am not knocking your athleticism Pat because you are obviously one hell of a soccer player, but I don't think we will ever see 80,000+ at the graveyard EVERY single Saturday during the fall. I am not sure the graveyard has seen that many peolpe in 20 years. And if it did, and I went, THAT would be 'emotionally stupid'.
SKIN

Postby SKIN » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:31 am

CURT: "Me thinks thou dost protest too much" -- Shakespeare
PAT: Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.
PENDER: "If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong."

:lol: :lol: :P :P :lol:
docintheyak

Postby docintheyak » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Let me guess Ken…excuse me…Pender, with such lack of understanding and shortsightedness, you probably attended some bubba camp like the Citadel? I did play:
Note the unusual smile of number 10 and how it still exists today in me and Catherine:

It was, admittedly, a LONG time ago but I played many years of football and baseball before realizing the error of my ways and played soccer and lacrosse through school (captain of a few of those).

“…just couldn’t grasp the coach’s playbook.” Wow, how sad. That the coach’s playbook exists is one of the reasons I did start playing more cerebral sports. First of all, how hard can a sport be if you get to use your hands? Really! For those that can understand this discussion (this leaves Ken/Pender out), stick with me on this one. Have you noticed the commercials for the NCAA in which doctors, scientists, and other professionals speak to the audience about playing college sports but went on to be successful in a chosen field? How many football or basketball players can say the same? Players in these two sports are choreographed from the sidelines by a cadre of paid coaches. Whether college or pro, football and basketball players must be instructed continuously on every play. If you are in college or being paid several million dollars a year to play football or basketball and you still have to be told what to do on every play, you certainly have limited intellectual capital. Have you ever seen a soccer or lacrosse coach pulling his team to the sideline every 30 seconds or sending signals or a messenger boy to tell the entire team what to do? Of course not. Soccer and lacrosse take brains. Once practice is over, players act on their own, throughout the match, in a concert of team play born of physical and mental talent. That is why soccer (the rest of the world’s ‘football’) is known across the globe as “The Beautiful Game (go ahead, Google it).” Decision-making is instantaneous within a given strategy. I will not discuss lacrosse here as it is too complex for the thick-skulled in this state. Do football players think? No, they react. The coaches think and direct players through detailed actions of every play. Thus, American football has been a boon to the industrial revolution as these mechanical mental midgets graduated from repetitive motion scripted by coaches to repetitive motion of stamping widgets. Just like manufacturing, these football widget stampers are realizing their limited usefulness as machines or monkeys replace them in the workplace. Without an increasing need for auto workers, our country’s football players find themselves out of college and out of work. The evidence is clear in the online records of many prisons and local jails across America. So Ken/Pender, football does not just bring out ‘emotional stupidity’ in people, it exposes the overall stupidity of such dinosaurs.
crystal220221

Postby crystal220221 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:26 pm

Not to mention that soccer also has Figo! :D

(Sorry to cheapen your argument there, Pat.) :wink: :lol:
scoob

Postby scoob » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:33 pm

Crystal...is it the hair or the neck, or the hairy neck...no wait... the "total package" :lol:
crystal220221

Postby crystal220221 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:50 pm

And Scoob just cheapened it even more! :D

Seriously...I prefer soccer because its alot faster-paced, more continuous play, no *#&$! television delays, over in 2 hours (typically) and alot less traffic when you are trying to leave. :wink: But I have to admit I enjoy USC football. Despite all their troubles, they are still fun to root for. And its a great excuse to get together with your college buddies and drink beer!

Return to “The Parking Lot”