The most epic paddling weekend

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

bdk

The most epic paddling weekend

Postby bdk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm

A decent rain event moved through the Southeast the Tuesday before New Year's. Provided some spectacular flows for the next five days of boating. Looking back on this extended weekend of boating, it is possibly the best 5 best days of back to back boating I have ever had. Here's a little recap.

Wednesday. Headed to the GSMNP for a run down Upper Big Creek.

actionalley.jpg

Looking down into one of the greatest sequences of WW in the South. Action Alley
Thursday. Started day on Section O of the Chattooga River Dave D and J Wall. Level was around 1000 cfs.

section0.jpg

Dave D heading into Bull Pen Rapid

Finished up the day over in the Jocassee drainage with a run down the White Water River with T. Keane and Coondog

DSC_0156.jpg

Takeout sign

whitewater.jpg

55 MPH

Friday. Headed back over towards the Chattooga with Dave D, J Wall, Ben Peters, Hadden and several others for a run down the ultra classic Overflow Creek.

overflow.jpg

Hadden and Dave finishing up Marginal Monster

Saturday. J Wall and I decided to check out the Thompson. Another tributary to Lake Jocassee. This creek seems to fall straight off the face of the earth. Huge slides!! Found out the run was over when I rounded a bend and there was a bass boat doing some fishing.

skatepark.jpg

Skate Park.

Thompson.jpg

J Wall dropping another slide into a rainbow

doubledrop.jpg

Stacked up double drop on the Thompson

Sunday. Met up Tage and J Wall for a quick run down a juicy Horsepasture River. This run is quicly becoming one of my favorites. Hike in 1.5 miles. Paddle 1.25 miles of high quality WW. Hike out 3 miles back to the car.

horsepasture.jpg

A nice little view before the start of the hike out.

After the Horsepasture we headed to the North Fork to meet up C McDonald and J Weaver for one last run of the weekend on the North Fork of the French Broad

northfork.jpg

A little sunshine below Boxcar.

Paddled all of these rivers before but have never been able to catch them all in the same rain event. Such a great way to end the year and start the next one! See yall on the water.
bigtime

Re: The most epic paddling weekend

Postby bigtime » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Nice shots, Andy.

Where is this one? Looks awesome!
bdk

Re: The most epic paddling weekend

Postby bdk » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:56 pm

That is Bull Pen rapid on Section 0 of the Chattooga. This bad boy is the put in. on another note how can i get the pics to rotate when posted to the board?

Return to “The Parking Lot”