Favorite river and why

This is what it's all about. Just like the real parking lot, this is the place to shoot the breeze and talk trash. Just keep it clean!

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

bdk

Favorite river and why

Postby bdk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:21 am

What is your favorite to paddle?

One of my all time favorite rivers to paddle would be Big Creek. Located on the boarder of Tenn/NC it literally tumbles out of the GSMNP. You can't beat the nonstop action on this creek. We were able to catch this gem twice last week. Once on Thursday at 3.2, with flurries falling all day. Then again on Friday at a level of 2.6ish. A little of the low side but the crystal clear water and snow covered ground made up for the level.

Here's a shot from Friday's run. This is at the lip of Baby Gorilla at the bottom of Action Alley.

tmp_25533-Image-1-527392660.jpg
blokhead

Re: Favorite river and why

Postby blokhead » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:58 am

Tallulah for me. There's enough stuff on there to get your pulse up, but not enough to terrify you. Plus, the scenery is pretty fantastic. West Fork Tuck is a close second.
bigtime

Re: Favorite river and why

Postby bigtime » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:01 am

That's a sick screenshot there, Andy. Favorite river, hmmmm. I feel almost obligated to say the Saluda, specifically at ~17K, but I guess that one goes without saying. I haven't been to a lot of places in a while, so it's hard for me to say, I like a lot of them for different reasons.

Green - because it's the green!
Wilson Creek - used to love to run bomb laps on that thing, and it's fun with some good water.
Gauley - big water fun!
WFT - not as challenging as some others, but beautiful scenery and enough "stoutness" to keep you honest and separate ass from boat.

Return to “The Parking Lot”