New guy needs a boat!

Buy and sell boats and gear.

Moderators: bdk, bigtime

Blood_Runs_Orange

Postby Blood_Runs_Orange » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:36 am

Gonna depend on what you plan on doing with it....but if you're just starting out, you may not know.

I would NOT recommend buying new for your first boat....a lot of used boats, you can use for a year, take care of them, and flip, and have had a boat at ~$100 lost for a year. You're also not likely to be doing anything in that first year that would call for a warranty...which is one of the few advantages of a shiny new boat. I wouldn't spend more than $500 on your first boat, since you don't really know what you're going to want a year from now. At this stage, it's all about something that's comfortable, safe, and will help you build confidence.

Jackson makes some great "all around" boats, but they seem to have a love/hate following, but the Fun series, . Dagger Mamba is a good used boat, more creeky than play, but to neither extreme, and you can find those used pretty reasonably. Pyranha In-A-Zones seem pretty popular with the river runner crowd too, and they can be had for a song in pretty good condition. A friend of mine has paddled hers for going on 6 years now and won't consider another boat even having demoed newer ones.

I know that's probably not the specifics you're looking for, but maybe gives you a jumping off point. And as always, the above is personal opinion, and your mileage may vary.

:cheers:
PC LOAD LETTER???
LykAGrl

Postby LykAGrl » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:45 pm

My first boat is a creeker, Pyranha Burn, it has some serious chine/edges. I recently got a Dagger RPM (old river runner) with a much more rounded and narrow shape. As for rolling, they are night and day....the Burn is like trying to roll a cinder block, the RPM I darn near did a 360 on my first roll attempt. So look at the shape and design of the boat to determine its rollability, do your homework before you buy anything and get the boat that suits what you think you'd like to do. Stability in the two are very different also, the Burn is solid and gives me a secure feeling on the water; the RPM feels a bit more shaky but it'll really fly on the water. The difference is the width of the boats-one feels more stable than the other initially.

I got the Burn because I knew I'd never need anything more beefy, I knew I wanted to just run rivers, and read info and reviews to see what would give me the most bang for my buck. I doubt I'll ever run anything to push it to its limits, but at the same time, know I won't ever be on a river it can't handle.....my skills are another issue. :D:
ricky

Postby ricky » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:50 pm

There were a few times that my RPM had to suffice as my creek boat , not recomended . :cry: But I think it is one of the easiest boats to roll ever made .
What goes around comes around
Work like you don`t need the money
Love like you have never been hurt
Dance like nobody is looking
Sing like nobody is listening
Live like it is Heaven on Earth
bottomzup

Postby bottomzup » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am

Decide what sorta boating you really want to do (you may change your mind)
There is no single boat that will do it all, you need one (or more!) specific to the task. You will find that most frequent boaters have a harem and pick based on the run.
Sit in lots of boats. If you are not comfortable, you are less likely to end up loving it.
You can do demos at the gear shops, and at the whitewater park in Charlotte. Last year they were allowing free demos on Thursdays, you could demo several boats in one day.

I bought 3 boats before I found one I really liked. I bought em all used and sold em for about the same as I paid.

I have a Large Ammo if you are interested. $400.
You can put steak sauce on a hot dog, but it's still just a weiner.
chris

Postby chris » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:24 am

I live in aiken as well and have a few boats that I am looking to get rid of. I have a jackson fun that I never paddle. Its for your weight.
tbm

Postby tbm » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 am

Good deal.

That Jackson should be a good boat to get started in. I was going to offer some differing advice on getting a boat thats "easy to roll". If you get a boat with a "rounded" hull thats easy to roll, you may trick yourself into practicing less than you should just because you can get it up. In my opinion, better to start in something that you will have to work a little bit to get over, not something that rolls like a log. But then again, thats my 2 cents.
Get arrested for what, being awesome?

Return to “Classifieds”