What kind of tire:

Since there are several of us boaters who love to mountain bike....
Ontime

What kind of tire:

Postby Ontime » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Huckster, and all you other Mountainbikers out there:

What kind of tire should I get? Riding Panaracer xc fire pro 2.1 something or others right now. Thinking about new tires. Want something that won't wear out in 6 months like a Specialized tire with the wicked thin sidewalls. Cant afford going full on tubeless.

So:

1) Tubeless conversion kit and tubeless tires (still not cheap) or stay with tubes? heard a suggestion to get a tubeless tire and just put a tube in it but that seems like it would be overkill. Looking for something that won't pinch flat easily (if you know me you'd know why) when going over roots and small to medium jumps.

2) Best tires for Harbison (pine straw, sand and roots) and FATS (packed sand and clay)? I will be riding in minimal mud and won't be racing but I don't want a super soft tire that rolls slow and I also don't like sliding turns.

5) Tire size; 2.1 to 2.4? Heard some people like a bigger tire on front and smaller tire on back. Someone else told me that anything past a 2.2 is worthless.

Thoughts...Ideas...Insults?
I'd rather be rich than stupid.
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:18 am

How do you know so much about my family?

Dude that is a sweet idea about the tubeless system. I am inclined to consider thinking about contemplating giving it a try...maybe.

Jeff, I have a project I think you should try...

Bont' what kind of sealent are you using? Seriously. What gave you the idea and do you know others who have tried it with success?
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:07 pm

OK so if Jeff Wilson tries this and uses Stan's sealant, will he be able to remove the sealant easily and go back to a tire and tube old school?

Sounds like you would get the benefit of lower pressure w/o pinch flats but it is probably no lighter than riding with a tube.
Huckster

Postby Huckster » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:57 pm

Another option for the Ghetto tubeless: Buy one roll of Gorilla tape. Start tearing a piece most of the inner width of the rim. Do two full wrap around the rim, this replaces the rim strip. Once you have done this you can poke a hole for your vavle stem and then proceed to mount the tires just like they were any other UST set up. You can run any tire with this set up but a tubeless UST would obviously be the best.

As for tires. I really enjoy a 2.35 but I tend to like to be able to jump off stuff and I would be pretty scared these days to send anything in 2.1s. So anything in a 2.2 or bigger up to a 2.35 should suffice in the Southeast.
I am currently riding WTB Prowler MX for the front and really like it. I was digging my specialized Eskar, but as soon as I moved to Utah I got a flat on EVERY ride. I have never gotten so many flats in my life as I have here. They also make Minion 2.35 now that is a light casing. Stay away from high rollers unless you want a resistance workout. Other than that I am not sure what to recommend. It is beer thirty here and I am off.
it is easier to fall down than to get back up

Return to “Mountain Biking”