The Newest Steed..ATTN Ontime and Bigtime

Since there are several of us boaters who love to mountain bike....
Huckster

The Newest Steed..ATTN Ontime and Bigtime

Postby Huckster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:11 pm

May jealousy ensue.

The New Build.

So I got a great deal on some new parts and started putting together a new bike for this year since the Slopestyle wasn't as great of an all around bike as I thought it would be. I picked up a Blur LT with the Fox RP23 and started building.

Frame: Blur LT
Fork: Marzocchi 44 Ti Air Micro
Wheels: Mavic Crossmax SLR
Shifters: XO
Brakes Formula something or the other
X9 rear and SLX front
Thomson stem
King headset and BB
Cranks: FSA After Burner
Cassette: XO

So the cranks are a place holder while I wait for my hopefully warrantied XTs and the pedals are place holders as well so I could pedal it around. Will see about the saddle. I have a few others lying around I may try on it. As it sits now it is at 27lbs 10 ounces. There is some room to go lighter and I may very well do that as time goes on. Hopefully the fork turns out to be durable and I dont end up replacing it next month.

Here are some pics:

it is easier to fall down than to get back up
rob89

Postby rob89 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Couple questions?

Are the cross max's tubeless? If not I would say its worth trying for weight and rolls a bit nicer tubeless

Why Formula brakes and not something like some Hayes Stroker grams or Avid XX brakes or the Avid elixir brakes? Just curious if never known any one who choose to use the Formula brakes.

Why the Slx front der. and XT crank why not stick with a full SRAM build. It does for the most part work to croos over and have a shimano crank set up and then a sram rear gear set up or vice versa but it sometimes works even better if you use all of one company.

What was the tire choice and why?

And most important of all how does it feel on the trail? If it feels perfect to you why change anything haha :slow:
Steve_I

Postby Steve_I » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Damn dood... Tahts one secksie build there. Looks like it's worth more than my wife's car! Got insurance?
Huckster

Postby Huckster » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:25 pm

rob89 wrote:Couple questions?

Are the cross max's tubeless? If not I would say its worth trying for weight and rolls a bit nicer tubeless

Why Formula brakes and not something like some Hayes Stroker grams or Avid XX brakes or the Avid elixir brakes? Just curious if never known any one who choose to use the Formula brakes.

Why the Slx front der. and XT crank why not stick with a full SRAM build. It does for the most part work to croos over and have a shimano crank set up and then a sram rear gear set up or vice versa but it sometimes works even better if you use all of one company.

What was the tire choice and why?

And most important of all how does it feel on the trail? If it feels perfect to you why change anything haha :slow:

I have been wanting to try Formula brakes for a while as I have ridden pretty much everything out there. Definitly not a Hayes fan as I cant stand their lever feel and lack of power and modulation. Also this was an opportunity build. Many of the items on the build were available so that is why I chose them.

As for the cranks, I dont really like anything that SRAM makes cranks wise but I LOVE their shifters and derailleurs. They have much a crisper and cleaner feeling. As for the SLX front derailleur, I had it lying around and for me some of the lighter more high end derailleurs dont have as positive of a feeling and seem to flex a a little more due to their light weight and filmsier build.

Yes the wheels are tubeless and already set up tubeless. Again with the theme of me already having them I threw them on there to complete the build. I have since gotten some Maxxis Ardents that I am going to try out. We also just got a huge shipment of Schwalbe tires at work that I am eager to try.

I haven't gotten any trail time on it but am headed down to Moab next weekend for four or five days and will certainly put it through its paces down there and rattle out any inconsistencies.

@Steve_i: Yes I have insurance. The great thing about this build is I have exactly $280 in the whole build and that covered the fork, wheels and cranks. The rest I had or was given to me at work.

I will report back when I get some trail time on it. I have a Marzocchi 55 that I may put on the front as well a little burlier set of wheels if the Crossmax SLRs prove to be to noodly for my ride style.
Huckster

Postby Huckster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:17 am

Wow, nothing from Bigtime or Curt? What is this forum coming to? I figured to hear atleast one, " Where did you steal that from" or "How is your trust fund still in the black?"
rawlings

Postby rawlings » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:05 pm

They can't their keyboards don't work from all the drool. Good looking bike. I just bought an FS and have been riding with Curt and Jeff. I can't believe I waited this long to get an FS!
rob89

Postby rob89 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Who needs FS all you really need is one gear and a chromoly frame with a carbon fork, Says the guy who hasn't ridden in almost a year.
Huckster

Postby Huckster » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:16 pm

First ride tonight!! Aside from letting a little too much air out of the front tire leading to some interesting cornering this bike absolutely killed it tonight. This bike climbs like a billy goat and once I found the right position in the cockpit really rallied the downs. I think I finally found a great all around bike!
The fork was very small bump compliant while still handling some aggressive descending without even so much as bottoming out. As I mentioned before I let a little too much air out of the front tire so I could not really push the turns like I was hoping but everything seemed pretty solid.
It took a little getting used to how light this bike is and at first it felt a little squirrelly on the descent but I soon found my groove and started flowing the lines that had become so familiar last season.

Over all I think I hit the nail on the head with this build. I have a Marzocchi 55 Ti RC3 that I am also going to try on the front and see how that feels but so far so good.

Back to the grind.
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:39 am

Sorry Moffatt, I haven't been on the board for a few days. I didn't mean to slight ya. As for what Jimmy said, Yeah, he's right. I am wicked jealous. That is a sweet looking bike. I dig the wheel set especially. Don't think I want to spend 600+ on a wheel set just now. I will wait till my stock wheels run their course. I thought about doing the home made tubeless thing but it seems like a big process for small benefit.

By the way, I used the bike stand a few times already. That thing is awesome. I think I already have Jimmy talked into buying one...and lights for night riding :D: I decided to check the air in the shock and fork. Turns out I have been woefully negligent in my maintenance. Nothing broken I just have been running way low on pressure. But, I assure you, I now have the right sag :D:

Hoping to ride tonight to see the difference. Anyone up for a ride at harbison at about 5:30?
I'd rather be rich than stupid.
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:48 am

Rob,

Single speeds and rigid forked hard tails are for Trend Followers :devil:

Full Sussy all the way. Remember, if it don't break, ya can't fix it. :patriot:

I'll give you 2 hun for that fox fork in the shop.
rob89

Postby rob89 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:19 am

the consignor actually came and picked up that fork to put on another bike he has. N if single speeds were for trend followers then i guess that makes the wright brothers trend followers right? haha The point of singlespeed fully rigid is less parts less to brake more time spent riding. I mean there is such a thing as FS single speed
Ontime

Postby Ontime » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:26 am

Ontime wrote:...Full Sussy all the way. Remember, if it don't break, ya can't fix it. :patriot:...

I loves me some speedy gears and a plush ride.
bigtime

Postby bigtime » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:48 am

Sorry Moffatt, I haven't been on the board either other than glancing at the main forum....been working on my motor sickle.

That is a nice looking machine you have there. Curt knows I likes me some Santa Cruz!

I put a RP23 on my bike a while back and that thing made a world of difference for me. Beat the hell out of the stock triad.
rawlings

Postby rawlings » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:49 am

Curt,
I'm road biking it tonight. How about Friday?
Huckster

Postby Huckster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:36 pm

rawlings wrote:Curt,
I'm roller blading it tonight. How about Friday?

Are you sure you want to be seen with a rollerblader Curt?

Return to “Mountain Biking”